Pages

Tuesday 8 February 2011

Weekend break



I can't help it, I love to travel. I might save some carbon by not driving a car, putting on an extra jumper when its cold rather than putting the thermostat on 23 degrees, etc., only to ruin it all by spending as much time as I can exploring the world. However, despite the attractiveness of £5 Ryanair flights, I'm trying to find alternative means to travel. One of my best short trips from last year was a weekend away to the Shetland Islands. 

The plan was to cycle from my house to the ferry port in Aberdeen (only a 10-minute ride), take the overnight ferry and then cycle around the main island. However, cycling with a large backpack turned out to be less than comfortable, so upon arrival in Lerwick, the bikes were locked up and we hitchhiked around the island instead. 

It was my first multi-day hitchhiking trip and it was great. Sure, every minute spent waiting next to the road seemed like forever, but many great characters were met, from friendly families on holiday to a local farmer who hadn't cleaned out his car since 1996. Hitching and camping created not only a very affordable, eco-friendly trip, but also the ultimate sense of freedom. 






No comments:

Post a Comment